Wednesday 10 November 2010

Every Cloud Has a Sliver Lining

Someone told me a time ago I should change the dialogue I keep with my own life. This person noticed that I tend to express my thoughts using negative statements instead of using positive ones. Also it was pointed out to me that I usually relate to what happens to me in a negative way by focusing blindly on the downsides of any given situation.

When I heard this, a skeptical look appeared on my face, the idea of a dialogue with life seemed like crazy talk to me. But when I gave it a second thought, it made perfect sense. The idea is that we should relate positively to what happens to us, no matter how difficult or bad that thing is. Focusing on the negative sides only makes us lose sight of what the possible solutions are.

I've been trying to change my ways, and it hasn't been easy. Those who know me well, can tell that I'm a proffesional complainer and that I even get certain pleasure from putting all my rage out there. What's more, I used to think that complaining was some sort of release. After this new point of view, grumbling just seems useless. I'm not saying I won't do it again, but at least I'm trying to complain less.

It's not easy either looking at the bright side. We tend, by nature, to focus on what's going wrong with us and what we are missing instead of concentrating on what we are doing right and on what we do have. The idea is breaking free from that instinct for negativeness and start enjoying all that's good in our life, that surely is a lot.

We have the quality of life we want. Positive thoughts and positive views may help us improve our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment